java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(Native Method), invalid argument

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 23 04:45:25 UTC 2014

Hi,

I can reproduce the following problem pretty easily
on FreeBSD 9, 10, CURRENT.

(1)  Install the devel/jenkins port

(2)  Run:

service jenkins onestart

(3)  In /var/log/jenkins.log, I see a traceback:

WARNING: UDP handling problem
java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument
        at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(Native Method)
        at
java.net.AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:168)
        at java.net.MulticastSocket.joinGroup(MulticastSocket.java:300)
        at hudson.UDPBroadcastThread.run(UDPBroadcastThread.java:76)
Feb 22, 2014 5:21:00 PM hudson.WebAppMain$3 run

I reported this bug against Jenkins:

https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-21727

but now I suspect that this is a FreeBSD bug or
implementation with respect to multicast.

Can someone help me debug this and isolate the problem?
It's been a while since I've debugged Java code.

Thanks.
--
Craig