Use of contiguous physical memory in cxgbe driver

Garrett Wollman wollman at bimajority.org
Thu Feb 13 19:34:04 UTC 2014

<<On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 10:05:18 -0800, Scott Long <scott4long at yahoo.com> said:

> So what you’re saying is that all of the other memory allocations that go along with
> moving data through a socket wind up fragmenting the free memory pool to the point
> where it becomes impossible to find 3 contig pages for a 9k jumbo RX frame.

I should mention that this behavior is particularly problematic when
only some clients are even sending jumbo frames.  Demanding three
physically contiguous pages when 70% of the packets received are not
more than 1514 bytes is particularly wasteful, although hopefully this
is mitigated with LRO in the common case.  (I don't know if LRO even
works with NFS.  How would I check?)

-GAWollman