Use of contiguous physical memory in cxgbe driver

Garrett Wollman wollman at bimajority.org
Thu Feb 13 18:15:11 UTC 2014

<<On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 10:07:36 -0800, John-Mark Gurney <jmg at funkthat.com> said:

>> [I wrote:]
>> It's very easy to get to that state if the driver insists on getting
>> three physically contiguous pages (which is what it takes to allocate
>> a single 9k cluster)

> Well, if you're using a cheap NIC that can't do scatter/gather DMA,
> then you get what you pay for...

No, I'm using expensive 10G NICs, like the Chelsio ones mentioned in
the subject header.  They have no trouble doing s/g (subject to some
reasonable limits on chain length).  The problem is when the drivers
insist on physical contiguity anyway.

I finally gave up and hacked the cxgbe driver never to use anything
longer than a physical page.

-GAWollman