Merge ping+ping6 and traceroue+traceroute6 to single utilities?

Jason Hellenthal jhellenthal at dataix.net
Tue Feb 11 13:29:25 UTC 2014

Something like this should not be that hard to convince anyone to commit the change. I've seen three IIRC people in the past that had patches and they also commented on how easy it was.

Why on earth I don't understand people need to pull their grey beards out over something that isn't going to interfere with their day to day lives if done correctly.

As you say . . . cisco, Juniper, Microsoft, but yet FreeBSD is regarded as  . . . Advanced network operating system.

Just because a new protocol is invented doesn't mean that there should be a separate utility. That's an annoyance and a write off to do the right thing.

Otherwise we may as well start writing everything to be protocol dependent.

Regards to just ping though aren't 9/10 times you are using it because name services have failed in some way so you are providing an address ?

One of my daughters under the age of 10 knows the difference between v4 and v6 addresses. Uses windows ping and is confused by *ix systems because ping doesn't recognize ::1. Try to explain that to someone under ten. In a way it's a little embarrassing.

--
 Jason Hellenthal
 Voice: 95.30.17.6/616