help porting netmap to new driver

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Wed Aug 27 22:23:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 3:18 PM, David <dajose22 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm needing to use netmap on a custom driver, I don't understand the
> content of the functions I need to implement and that are detailed on
> "PORTING" file.

​sometimes (often, actually) the hw has bottlenecks that make native
netmap mode almost useless.
​One thing you could try is the "emulated netmap mode" which
is used by default​ if the driver has no native support.
This is in the code on code.google.com/p/netmap/ ,
the branch "next" (which is basically the code now in FreeBSD)
has some fixes for that specific feature

cheers
luigi

can someone give a hand to understand it better?