Network troubles after 8.3 -> 8.4 upgrade

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Thu Apr 24 21:17:46 UTC 2014

On 04/19/14 19:19, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> Hmmm, sounds a bit complicated... would simply dropping if_em.ko in from
> a 8.3 box work?

Ok, I'll answer myself.

I'm now running 8.3's if_em.ko (binary from another system), on an 8.4
kernel.
The behaviour is the same as before.

However, further researches show em is not the culprit.

Rather, ipfw is: in fact dynamic rules are created, but will always
timeout after 20 s (no matter if idle or not).
Someway the outgoing packet triggers the dynamic rule, but it doesn't
seem to get past the SYN phase.

The ruleset here is quite a mess, so I need to investigate it better.
What suprise me is that it worked differently with 8.3!

Well, at least now I know where to look...

Thanks to anyone who replied.

  bye
	av.