Racoon/IPSEC Tunnel in 9.2 vs 10.0

Eugene M. Zheganin emz at norma.perm.ru
Tue Apr 15 04:15:02 UTC 2014

Hi.

On 10.04.2014 02:15, Matt Lager wrote:
> I have used IPSEC tunnels w/ racoon to establish point to point VPN
> connections for a long time, with great success. I recently decided to
> upgrade one of my endpoints to 10.0-RELEASE from 9.2-RELEASE-p3. I
> didn't do an upgrade but did a fresh installation of 10.0-RELEASE, but
> applied the identical VPN configuration that was working in
> 9.2-RELEASE-p3. The tunnels came up fine, and setkey -D shows that
> keys had been generated, connectivity appeared to be working at first
> glance. I then started to work as normal through my VPN with things
> like RDP, SQL Server, and other protocols, where I found that
> connectivity started then came to a dead halt (not ICMP, which always
> works fine). I did another fresh install of 9.2-RELEASE-p3, applied
> the config, and everything worked as expected.
>
> I've read a lot about MTU's and fragmented traffic, but I'm trying to
> figure out where I should be looking to fix things up. Something
> obviously changed. I do use PF, and I know PF underwent some big
> changes, so maybe it's a PF problem, but I thought I'd post here
> first. I'm using the same PF config on the 10.0 system as I did on the
> 9.2, of course making sure interfaces were all named properly and
> whatnot.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm using FreeBSD on a variety of VPN/ipsec links. Nothing really
changed in 10.x. In fact, I've skipped the 9.x branch entirely, because
it has been worst release over many years. You should really investigate
the problem, since it looks like it has nothing to do with the
versining. As a wild guess I can assume you have FLOWTABLE in your
kernel; if I'm right you should get rid of it.

Eugene.