re0: watchdog timeout

Frank Volf frank at deze.org
Mon Apr 7 06:09:34 UTC 2014

Yonghyeon PYUN schreef op 7-4-2014 3:22:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 07:37:08PM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:
>> Frank Volf wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm experiencing watchdog timeouts with my Realtek interface card.
>>>
>>> I'm using a fairly new system (Shuttle DS47), running FreeBSD
>>> 10-STABLE.
>>> For this shuttle a patch has been recently committed to SVN to make
>>> this
>>> card work at all (revision *262391*
>>> <http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=262391>).
>>>
>>> The timeout is only experienced under heavy network load (the system
>>> is
>>> running a bacula backup server that backups to NFS connected
>>> storage),
>>> and typically large full backups trigger this. Normal traffic works
>>> fine
>>> (this system is e.g. also my firewall to the Internet).
>>>
>> Since you mention NFS, you could try disabling TSO on the interface
>> and see if that helps. (I'm beginning to feel like a parrot saying this,
>> but...) If you care about why it might help, read this email thread:
>>    http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?1850411724.1687820.1395621539316.JavaMail.root
>>
>> If it happens to help, please email again, since there are probably
>> better ways to fix the problem than disabling TSO.
>>
> re(4) controllers support TSO but it was disabled long time
> ago(r217832).
> It's still allowed to enable TSO but users have to explicitly
> enable it with ifconfig.  If Frank didn't explicitly enable TSO on
> the box, TSO may have nothing to do with watchdog timeout, I guess.

I haven't explicitly enabled TSO, the only option that has been
explicitly set is -vlanhwtag, here is the interface config:

re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=8208b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
         ether 80:ee:73:77:e9:ab
         nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
         media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
         status: active

Regards,

Frank