questions about (system) dhclient

Rick Miller vmiller at hostileadmin.com
Tue Apr 1 12:48:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:

>         [Please keep me CC'd as I am not subscribed.  Thanks.]
>
>         I have a system, running r263263, where dhclient is misbehaving.
>  (Yes - this is CURRENT, but I have no reason to believe this inherently a
> version-specific issue.  I am also on current@, and nothing like this has
> been reported.)
>         The system has an Intel Pro/1000 ethernet card, "em0", connected
> to a Arris CM820 cable modem.
>         This is the relevant portion of dhclient.conf:
>
> http://users.rcn.com/dhclient.conf
>
>         Upon execution, I get this:
>
> http://users.rcn.com/roberthuff/dhcp_offer

The conversation between a DHCP server and client consists of the initial
DHCP DISCOVER request from the client broadcasted to the network to which a
DHCP ACK is expected in reply from an available DHCP server.  Upon receipt
of DHCP ACK, the client sends another DHCP DISCOVER to the server asking
for configuration information necessary to initialize networking.  The
server's response is a DHCP OFFER containing all the information requested
by the client.

I illustrate this in a sequence diagram describing a PXE workflow for
FreeBSD installation at
http://hostileadmin.com/images/FreeBSD_PXE_Install_Workflow.gif.  The first
four steps in the sequence is the workflow's first DHCP conversation.

This output suggests only half of the conversation was completed.  The
client doesn't appear to have sent the second DHCP DISCOVER and thusly did
not receive configuration information from the server.  Have you ran packet
captures to determine whether or not the whole conversation is occurring?

--
Take care
Rick Miller