Flow ID, LACP, and igb

Barney Cordoba barney_cordoba at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 1 15:45:26 UTC 2013

Comcast sends packets OOO. With any decent number of internet hops you're likely to encounter a load
balancer or packet shaper that sends packets OOO, so you just can't be worried about it. In fact, your
designs MUST work with OOO packets.

Getting balance on your load balanced lines is certainly a bigger upside than the additional CPU used.
You can buy a faster processor for your "stack" for a lot less than you can buy bandwidth.

Frankly my opinion of LRO is that it's a science project suitable for labs only. It's a trick to get more bandwidth
than your bus capacity; the answer is to not run PCIe2 if you need pcie3. You can use it internally if you have
control of all of the machines. When I modify a driver the first thing that I do is rip it out.

BC