[JNPR] Network stack as a module (RFC)

Steve Kiernan stevek at juniper.net
Wed Nov 20 19:41:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 09:32:00 +0530
Dheeraj Kandula <dkandula at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a link explaining about what changes have gone into this huge
> Diff. That would help people like me to figure out what is being addressed
> in the diff. I get the point that the whole network stack will be a
> loadable module now. Isn't it?

The big diff from back in January isn't what people necessarily need to look
at right now. I could send a description of all the pieces in that patch,
but I think it would be confusing to people at this point, as we are now
trying to instead break the patch set up into easily digestible pieces.
http://people.freebsd.org/~marcel/Juniper/201311/netstack-option.diff is the
starting point, introducing the NETSTACK option.

Yes, the final point will be the capability to have the network stack as a
loadable module. The does not preclude building the network stack into the
kernel (which is the default, even with the NETSTACK option being
introduced, as we are adding the option to the relevant DEFAULTS files.)

--
Stephen J. Kiernan
Juniper Networks, Inc.