[JNPR] Network stack as a module (RFC)

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 18 20:23:42 UTC 2013

On 18 November 2013 11:20, Steve Kiernan <stevek at juniper.net> wrote:

> Sure, that's fine with me. I had been considering back and forth about
> whether or not to add NETSTACK to the NIC drivers and the like.
> I went with adding it in for completeness sake, but I'm good with not
> having to add it for drivers.

ok. let's do that.

So ideally (!), the aim is to make it so it's both selectable as
buildable _and_ loadable as a module, right?

The drivers will ideally treat the if/ifnet stuff as opaque as
possible and use methods/macros to access things.

(if they use methods, then we can turn some of them into macros for
source builds, but have an option to turn them into actual methods
that can be indirected easily enough for what you need.)

How's that sound?

-adrian