IP clash (arp: x is using my IP address y on em1!) - recovering?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Mon Nov 11 15:03:13 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've got a couple of FreeBSD boxes (9.2-R). I just accidentally brought
'up' the same IP address on both.

Sure enough the console logs a bunch of "arp x is using my IP address y on
..." style messages.

I quickly took down the 'new' IP's on one box (in fact, I shut the whole
box down).

However the original box with the addresses stopped responding to traffic
going to those addresses. I flushed the ARP table on another box - and
tried pinging one of the IP's that clashed - and you get nothing back. You
don't event get an ARP entry appearing for it - i.e. if both boxes are on
the same LAN / IP address range.

It'll quite happily respond to other IP's (on the same interface / MAC) -
but not the one that got 'clobbered'.

In the end I 'ifconfig' deleted the clashed IP's off the original box - and
added them again to the same box. This seems to have resolved it. Is there
some way of avoiding this in the future? - I guess it's some kind of
'defensive' move or something? - We've just never seen it in the past (the
very occasional times we've brought up two IP's it's been on much older
boxes).

-Karl