TCP stack lock contention with short-lived connections

Julien Charbon jcharbon at verisign.com
Mon Nov 4 21:25:15 UTC 2013

  Hi list,

  just a follow-up of vBSDCon discussions about FreeBSD TCP performances
with short-lived connections.  In summary:

  Using a single NIC receive queue, the TCP stack performance results with
short-lived connections on FreeBSD are great:  We got 52,000 (52k) TCP
queries per second (QPS) before being CPU bound, we achieved the same
result on Linux.  However, when configuring 4 NIC receive queues each
bound to a different core of the same CPU, results are lower than
expected:  We got 56k QPS, where we reached 200k QPS on Linux on same
hardware.  Basically, FreeBSD TCP stack does not scale well across
multiple receive queues/CPU cores due to a lock contention.  I have put
technical and how-to-repeat details in below PR:

kern/183659: TCP stack lock contention with short-lived connections

  We are currently working on this performance improvement effort;  it will
impact only the TCP locking strategy not the TCP stack logic itself.  We
will share on freebsd-net the patches we made for reviewing and
improvement propositions;  anyway this change might also require enough
eyeballs to avoid tricky race conditions introduction in TCP stack.

  Thanks.

--
Julien