FreeBSD jail can't talk to internet through multiple routers

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Tue May 28 23:58:58 UTC 2013

Hi,

I run PCBSD 9.1 and have a jail setup (uses the Warden PBI to set it up).

In that jail which has it's own local IP like 192.168.1.12, I have an Apache server running Drupal.

Normally when I connect the computer to a single router that is connected to a modem, I set "nameserver 192.168.1.1", i.e. the router LAN IP or gateway, in etc/resolv.conf and have no problems.

Now I have added a 2nd router daisy chained from the primary router, running a subnet (primary router has IP: 192.168.1.1 and secondary router: 192.168.2.1).

The computer running the jail is plugged into the secondary router.

The problem is, the jail can't contact the internet.  I can SSH into the jail but it takes a very long time to connect, like 30 seconds or so.

I've tried different IP addresses for "nameserver" but nothing works.

I have no problems using the internet from the main part of the computer, just the jails.

Any ideas why this happens and how to get around it?  I've had this problem for years with different versions of FreeBSD.

Do I need to create a static route through to the gateway, and if so, why is that not a problem using a browser from the main part of the machine?

Thanks,

Jeff