High CPU interrupt load on intel I350T4 with igb on 8.3

Barney Cordoba barney_cordoba at yahoo.com
Tue May 14 01:10:41 UTC 2013

You have to admit there's a problem before you can fix it. If Eugene is
going to blame to bottleneck and no one is going to tell him he's wrong,
then there is no discussion.

The solution in this case is to use 1 queue, which was my suggestion
many days ago.

The defaults are broken. The driver should default to 1 queue, and be
tuned to the system environment. With 2 NICs in the box, the defaults
are defective.

1 queue should always work. Other settings require tuning and an
understanding of how things work.

I've had to support i350 so I've been playing with the driver a bit. It
works fine with lots of cores. But you have to have more cores than
queues. 2 cards with 4 queues on a 6 physical core system gets into a
contention problem at certain loads.

I've also removed the cpu bindings, which is about all I'm free to disclose.

The driver needs a tuning doc as much as anything else.

BC