carp regression in 9.1 ?

Ermal Luçi eri at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 17 15:20:41 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Eugene M. Zheganin <emz at norma.perm.ru>wrote:

> Hi.
>

> On 14.03.2013 20:47, Fleuriot Damien wrote:
>
>> I'm experiencing this odd behavior with 9.1 r24791 for amd64.
>>
>>  You should definitely sit on 8.x until 10.x will become stable, or
> upgrade to 10.x from 9.x (at least this is what I do).
> Carp is entirely rewritten in 10.x branch. In the same time, in 9.x carp
> seems to be desperately broken: for example I was experiencing weird panics
> on boot, weird behaviour, and, when enabling WITNESS, lots of carp-related
> LORs. Furthermore, I was completely unable to boot up with a ipv6-enabled
> carp - I had to initialize it in multiuser with a custom script. All of
> this doesn't happen on 10.x, which I had to upgrade to. Right now, if we're
> talking about carp, my 10.x production works like a charm. 9.x branch just
> isn't destined to production. The situation is a bit improved on 9.1, but
> still I can compare this release to 4.6 or 5.0.

>From this aspects carp in 10(HEAD) should behave the same since the
internals of carp have not been changed only the iconnection with the
FreeBSD stack has.
Talking about aliases on carp that used to be a bit broken up-to 9.x they
do not exist at all in 10.
Which needs a bit of discussion per se how to solve.

I will get to it by summer and see to merge improvements in that area.

--
Ermal