Please implement patch in PR180893

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 04:37:47 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Mike Karels <mike at karels.net> wrote:

> > Sure, but it would be nice to file bugs with VMware and such to ensure
> > they fix their bugs.

There's quite a bit of chatter about this problem on the VMWare lists.
Linux complains when these packets show up, so it isn't going unnoticed.

> fwiw, I use IPv6 with recent versions of ESXi and VMware Workstation,
> and have not seen this problem.  I'm curious if the problem is in old
> versions or with particular configurations.

I think you're only going to find this on the 'bridged' network type.  When
I tested this problem with other types of VMWare lans, the problem does not
occur.

> > Anyone have any issue with this? The issue I have is the if_printf(),
> > it should be rate limited at the very least. It would also be nice to
> > have a different counter to reflect that kind of dropped packet..
>
> Agreed to both; I'd rather reserve if_ierrors for NIC-reported errors.
> I also think the message should say "from my MAC address" (vs IP).

Obviously, it's really easy to modify the if_printf(), but what type of
rate limiting is appropriate here?  For instance, if you send a packet from
an IP on the lan with changing MAC addresses, FreeBSD will printf() a note
about each MAC address change.  AFAICT, the if_printf() here can only be
triggered by something right on the local lan (not by the internet at large
--- even without filters).