Wallclock vs monotonic time in v6 expiry times?

Alex Yong annonymouse+freebsd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 18:42:42 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've been looking around in the IPv6 code recently and I noticed that
time_second seems to be the clock of choice for calculating expiry times
for prefixes, routers and addresses.  Is there any specific reason it uses
wall clock time and not time_uptime as this makes more sense to me?

I'm referring to the kernel's internal representation of these expiry
times, rather than what's exposed via sysctls.

As an example,

dr0.expire = time_second + dr0.rtlifetime;

taken from sys/netinet6/nd6_rtr.c from nd6_ra_input.

AlexY