WTF? RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Program not registered

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun Feb 17 23:02:49 UTC 2013

In message <670072237.3089090.1361139025074.JavaMail.root at erie.cs.uoguelph.ca>,
Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

>Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>> In message
>> <689563329.3076797.1361028594307.JavaMail.root at erie.cs.uoguelph.ca>,
>> Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

>> >Add -t to these flags. It appears that the default is UDP only.
>>

>> YESSSS! Thank you. That did the trick alright.
>>
>> I gather than in the 9.x series, there is a new nfs server thing, yes?
>>
>> And I further gather than this one needs to new -t flag, yes?
>>
>> (Sigh. My own feeling is that tcp support should have been enabled by
>> default... as in the past.)
>>
>Nope. The old server used "-t" as well. The settings in
>/etc/default/rc.conf for
>nfs_server_flags="-t -u -n 4"
>
>You overrode those when you set nfs_server_flags.

Doh!  Yes, it appears you are 100% correct.

In the past, I had never before had *any* kind of nfs_server_flags= line
in my /etc/rc.conf file.  After my recent upgrade, I put one in, just to
limit the interfaces to which NFS service would be provided, and apparently,
in so doing, I utterly hobbled NFS service generally.

That outcome certainly did not follow the "principal of least surprise".

Oh well.  All's well that ends well.

Regards,
rfg