Question: Why ain't I getting gigabit speed?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Feb 7 23:53:17 UTC 2013

Apologies for following up on myself, but I just now found this:

   https://support.freenas.org/ticket/894

This thread would suggest that I ain't alone in experienceing this
problem with the RTL8110S.

That other guy apparently solved his problem by just simply switching
to a CAT6 cable.  I however am already using CAT6 cables, and the problem
for me still exists.

I tried adding:

	media 1000baseTX

to my ifconfig_re0= line in my /etc/rc.conf file (and then rebooting),
however when I did that, a subsequent "ifconfig -a" showed that indeed,
the card had now been correctly configured to speak 1000baseT, however
it also said:

	status:  no carrier

even though the thing most definitely _is_ still plugged in to my
E2000 router, and I could not ping anything else, even on my own LAN.

So I'm still stuck, and still looking for an answer.  How can I get this
card working at gigabit speed?