Make kernel aware of NIC queues

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Wed Feb 6 16:55:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 11:05:59AM -0500, George Neville-Neil wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2013, at 09:37 , Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at iet.unipi.it> wrote:
> > Linux has tried to come up with a common framework to implement
> > this kind of controls using "ethtool", and we should probably
> > have a look at their approach and reuse it (or at least the good ideas)
> > to avoid reinventing the same thing.
> >
> And, though Luigi didn't say it, I will, this should integrate with netmap.

i did not say it because it will work without any extra effort:
- the netmap version i committed a few days ago already fetch
  the number of queues and the ring sizes at runtime;
- ethtool (or whatever we will call it) only operates on the
  configuration/control plane (number of queues and slots,
  partitioning of packets onto input queues, etc.), whereas netmap
  operates only on the data plane

cheers
luigi