A question about SYN cookies...

George Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Mon Feb 4 01:40:26 UTC 2013

Howdy,

I've been reviewing the SYN cache and SYN cookie code and I'm wondering why we do all the work
of generating a SYN cache entry before sending a SYN cookie.  If the point of SYN cookies is to
defend against a SYN flood then, to my mind, the SYN/ACK for the cookie case should be sent off before
doing all the work to try to create and insert a cache entry.  Has anyone, as yet, looked at a way
to move the sending code earlier into syncache_add() and checked to see if there is a performance
improvement when a system is flooded with SYN packets?

Best,
George