FreeBSD 10G forwarding performance @Intel

Alexander V. Chernikov melifaro at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 4 09:54:05 UTC 2012

On 04.07.2012 13:12, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> Alex,
> i am sure you are aware that in FreeBSD we have netmap too
Yes, I'm aware of that :)

> which is probably a lot more usable than packetshader
> (hw independent, included in the OS, also works on linux...)
I'm actually not talking about usability and comparison here :). Thay
have nice idea and nice performance graphs. And packetshader is actually
_platform_ with fast packet delivery being one (and the only open) part
of platform.

Their graphs shows 40MPPS (27G/64byte) CPU-only IPv4 packet forwarding
on "two four-core Intel Nehalem CPUs (2.66GHz)" which illustrates
software routing possibilities quite clearly.