which 10GE cards are supported by FreeBSD ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Sat Sep 24 20:36:33 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 05:53:54PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> On Sep 24, 2011, at 5:31 PM, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > does anyone know know which 10GE cards are supported by FreeBSD,
> > either natively or using third-party drivers ?
>
> is this a serious question?  FreeBSD has documentation (for those in-tree)
> i.e man pages.  Alternatively looking for if_baudrate might give you some
> clues.

apart from the typo ("know know") yes the email contained three
serious questions, two of which (third party drivers and shops
which carry the card) i cannot answer looking at the tree.

On top of this, some in-tree drivers may be stale, broken, redundant
(say ixgb vs ixgbe), and so on.  And not all hardware can do line
rate -- not even at 1G, let alone 10G, so it would be good to know
also some first hand information on performance.

The goal of the question was also to get -- and have on the archives,
for the future -- informed feedback ("i have card X and works/does
not work with driver Y and performance is Z", see Vlad's reply).

> I think the short answer is - we support almost all even though few are not
> (yet) in the tree.

wow, that's a lot of information :)

seriously though:
i have Intel and know it works reasonably well and have published
detailed data on that on the netmap page.  Vlad has replied about
Myricom.  I know that Chelsio has a card and supports it.  But I
have no first-hand information about the others: for instance, do
we support Marvell ? which driver ?  What about broadcom ?  Any
other makers&drivers for 10G on FreeBSD ?

Hope the question is more clear now.

cheers
luigi