New bxe(4) Driver for Broadcom BCM57710 & BCM57711 Devices

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Tue Sep 13 01:07:16 UTC 2011

David Christensen wrote this message on Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 14:13 -0700:
> > Thanks for the drivers, but at work we have some issues w/ the driver
> > on an HP Blade.  We could do some basic pings, but when trying to
> > pass DNS traffic, it failed.  Turning off both rxcsum and txcsum made
> > the driver work.  If I only turned one or the other off, DNS traffic
> > would still not work.
>
> Are you using Flex-10?  If so, can you tell me how the 57711E is configured?

I also ran into an issue w/ this machine where it would panic at
shutdown.  After the panic, all the cpu's would join in the panic fun
and drop to the db prompt also, causing all sorts of fun.  After a
little debugging help from attilio, I changed the device_shutdown
handler to bxe_detach instead, and that prevented the panic at reboot.

The panic would happen both compiled into the kernel and as a module,
but would only trigger at reboot, but not when unloading the module.
I did not test the fix when the driver is compiled into the kernel.
The test fix was also on a kernel w/o WITNESS, w/o SMP and w/o
PREEMPTION, to make things easier to see.

I have put images of the panic, w/ the backtrace up at:
https://www.funkthat.com/~jmg/hpblade/

Thanks for your help.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579