Adding Flow Director sysctls to ixgbe(4)

Ben Hutchings bhutchings at solarflare.com
Thu Sep 8 16:21:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 11:06 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Thursday, September 08, 2011 10:48:25 am K. Macy wrote:

> > > Some sort of shared interface might be nice.  The cxgb(4) and cxgbe(4) drivers
> > > both provide their own tools to manipulate filters, though they do not
> > > provide explicit steering IIRC.
> > >
> > > We would need to come up with some sort of standard interface (ioctls?) for
> > > adding filters however.
> >
> > I know this must sound like nitpicking, but please don't add more
> > ioctls if you can avoid it. If you want to add new interfaces try to
> > stick with sysctl as it tends to be less prone to breakage across
> > releases.
>
> Passing strings in via sysctls isn't an ideal interface.  Passing in some sort
> of structure via ioctl would be far more typical, and it is possible to provide
> API compat since the size of the structure is encoded in the ioctl itself.

Whatever the mechanism is, the interface should allow for:

- Flexible matching on layer 2, 3 and 4 header fields
- Masking out some bits before matching (e.g. ignoring priority bits of
  VLAN tag or least significant bits of IPv4 address)
- Priority of rules in case several match a single flow.  This may
  need to be combined with location, since in a TCAM location may
  determine priority.
- Requesting packets to be dropped, steered to a single RX queue, or
  steered to a range of RX queues (using a flow hash and indirection
  table)
- Use of multiple hash indirection tables

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.