igb(4) won't start with "igb0: Could not setup receive structures"

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 30 16:44:37 UTC 2011

On 3/30/2011 7:19 AM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Doug Barton<dougb at freebsd.org>  wrote:

> The only things I've been able to get from Jack is "We, at Intel, test
> em(4) at 256k nmbclusters. We do not have problem. If you have
> problem, raise nmbcluster.". 256k nmbcluster in my environment is not
> acceptable.
>
>> Meanwhile, there are times where memory IS a constraint, and there are some
>> things you can't do without more of it.
>>
> yes, but the driver should not need a manual reset between the time
> resource are (heavily) scarce and the time it became available again.

If you're facing that situation then obviously your system is
constrained by hardware. It sounds like you have 3 choices:

1. Add more RAM
2. Use a different NIC
3. Set MTU lower

I'm sorry to say that just because the software is free doesn't mean
that we can guarantee that it will work on all hardware. Sometimes the
physical limits of the hardware are what need to be changed.

Good luck,

Doug

			-- OK Go