[OT] Re: igb watchdog timeouts

Bruce Evans brde at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jan 15 02:30:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2011, at 2:12 AM, Bruce Evans wrote:
>>> On a good day, my MUA sends "Content-type: text/plain; format=flowed" and should contain line breaks following the 80-character-per-line Usenet conventions, which modern MUAs might well reassemble based upon the user's window size. If it is being re-interpreted after transmission by MTAs, mailing-list MIME filters, or similar, well, that lies beyond my control.
>>
>> Strangely, my MUA is sending format=flowed, etc., but mails received
>> from you don't have it.  So when I reply to you and Cc me, then there
>> are enough newlines in the now-doubly-quoted original in the Cc.
>
> You're right.  After checking, it seems like Mail.app stopped emitting format=flowed around 10.6.3, and $REALJOB requirements mean I'm stuck using it as I need to deal with localized text from many languages frequently. [1]

Still doesn't have it :-).

>> format=flowed apparently even fixes up the quotes, so there are enough
>> quotes too.  But I don't like this.  Letting the MUA change the format
>> will mangle source code, diffs and some types of quotes.

There's the double-blank-line quote-mangling.

I see quotes as ">>" in mutt and pine seems to what is responsible for
mangling them to "> > ".

> Well, source code, diffs, and such could be attached as MIME enclosures, which will insulate them from quote-based reformatting.  Unfortunately, unless one is careful with the content-types used, the FreeBSD mailing list software might decide to strip them....

I don't believe in attachments either.

> [1]: Mozilla's Thunderbird does fine for the Latin-1 families & UTF-8 encodings, but it doesn't handle UTF-16 text or attachments (ja-JP / ISO-2022-JP or zh-CN & zh-TW in Big5 or GBK) correctly.

Surprisingly little FreeBSD mail have format=flowed.  Today I have about
100 mails, mostly from FreeBSD mailing lists, and only 12 of the have it,
with 7 from just 2 people.

5 From: 3 FreeBSD committers, 7 From: 4 non-committers (?)

User-Agents: Mozilla/5.0 (5), Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 (1) Alpine 2.00 (4),
              Opera Mail/11.00 (1), header not present (1)

Do you happen to know what changes tabs to hard \xa0's, and what prevents
this.

Bruce