Intel 10GBase-LR Ethernet card detected as 10GBase-SR

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Jan 13 19:49:57 UTC 2011

> > If it has an SFP+, won't the it be LR or SR depending on the type of
> > SFP+ installed?
>
> The card is *sold* and *advertised* by Intel as a 10GBase-LR card. It
> may well be the case that it would also work with a 10GBase-SR SFP+.
> I don't have one of these lying around to test, unfortunately. But I
> have indeed verified that the SFP+ in the card is a 1310 nm 10GBase-LR
> unit (specifically it's a Finisar FTLX1471D3BCV).
>
> As such, I believe the ixgbe code should either set the card type as
> 10GBase-LR (statically), since that's how the card is sold/delivered.
> Or it should include code to read the optics type from the SFP+.

Thinking about this some more - I see there are also SR variants of the
same card:

  http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=39773
  http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=39774

In which case reading the optics type from the SFP, or having some kind
of config setting, is the only thing that makes sense IMHO.

Having a 10GBase-LR card report 10GBase-SR is guaranteed to result in
misunderstandings...

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no