IPv4 and IPv6 NAT

Darek M fafaforza at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 18:23:34 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I'm looking to set up my private network to be connected to IPv6.  My
NAT box will have a direct v6 assignment, and I'm wondering what the
setup will be like to provide private hosts access to v4 and v6
networks/hosts at the same time.

Currently using 7.2-RELEASE, with ipnat/ipfilter.

Will I be setting up the NAT box in dual stack?

Will that allow me then to provide each private host with a v6 IP?

Will that then make the private hosts run in dual stack?  In turn
allowing them to access v4 networks via NAT, and v6 networks using
packet forwarding on the NAT box, but not actually using NAT?

Or would IPv4 DHCP assignments erase the v6 IPs?

Or would I have to do translation on the NAT box?  I have the option
of adding the v6 IPs on a separate network interface, if that would
ease the configuration.

Welcome any pointers.
- Darek