if_run in hostap mode: issue with stations in the power save mode

Bernhard Schmidt bschmidt at freebsd.org
Mon Feb 7 08:11:17 UTC 2011

On Monday, February 07, 2011 07:10:01 Alexander Zagrebin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 06.02.2011 11:32:40 +0100, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
> > > I had the doubts about ability to change or hide/unhide the SSID,
> > > but it works too. It seems that after `ifconfig wlan0 ssid ...`
> > > or `ifconfig wlan0 (hidessid|-hidessid)` the following occurs:
> > > 1. run_newstate() is called
> > > 2. run_newstate() invokes run_update_beacon_cb()
> > > 3. run_update_beacon_cb() invokes ieee80211_beacon_update()
> > > But I couldn't understand where ieee80211_beacon_update() can
> > > change a SSID...
> >
> > As I see it, it can't. Only a call to ieee80211_beacon_construct()
> > would do that. Can I talk you into figuring out what's going on
> > here? Getting a definitive statement about SSID changes are
> > correctly handled (by means of a trace) would help alot.
>
> Yes, sure!
> What kind of information you need?

For example, if you call 'ifconfig wlan0 ssid <newssid>' the new ssid is
passed over using a IOCTL. It would be interesting to know what function
in net80211 are called regarding beacon updates and which of those call
into the run driver. Ultimately it's about figuring out if special
handling for such cases are required and if so, how to do it.

Thanks

--
Bernhard