Default gateway on different net

Lasse Brandt lasse at bitmand.com
Wed Sep 22 21:02:19 UTC 2010

Hi again,

Just wanted to update on the problem, in case someone stumbles upon this in the archives - original mail:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2010-September/026481.html

On 21. Sep 2010, at 12:37 , Lasse Brandt wrote:
> 2) Should the default route really be the last route to be added in /etc/network.subr:1057? (not sure if there is a reason to why its first - but I feel guilty messing with that file directly :) )

I am still wondering about this. I found another post in the archives going way back that asks the same question, but no really answer. In my case it's important that the static routes are created before the default route.
Anyone know if there is a reason for the default to be first?

> 3) Am I setting this up in a completely wrong way?
> ( At this point it feels like "everything is right, but I miss _that_ fundamental option/config somewhere )

Well, I was, after creating my static and default route, the only missing part was: ndp -I re0

There is a more in-depth explanation on the matter here:
http://social.bitmand.com/post/1168584251/hetzner-freebsd-and-ipv6

Best regards,
Lasse Brandt