Monitor mode not working for iwi(4) on 7.X

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 7 09:49:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 11:56:25AM -0500, Brandon Gooch wrote:
> 2010/10/6 Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe at freebsd.org>:
> > On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 11:19:25PM +0100, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> >> In contrast to 6.2-RELEASE, monitor mode does not work. Kismet does
> >> not receive anything, while it does with ath or ural (even at the same
> >> time). dmesg with debug.iwi=2 is below -- anything unusual?
> >>
> >> Moreover, "ifconfig iwi0 scan" sometimes just hangs, which never
> >> happened on 6.2-RELEASE.
> >
> > Just found this email sent to stable@ almost three years ago; sadly I
> > have to confirm iwi(4) still exhibits these problems on fairly recent
> > 7-STABLE (early Juneish).  Maybe I have better luck on net@ (I am
> > particularly interested in working monitor mode).  Thanks.  Any debug
> > information will be gladly provided.  Pointers where to look (revisions
> > to try, patches, etc.) are greatly appreciated.
>
> I know this response isn't too helpful, but the whole Intel
> PRO/Wireless 2200BG/2225BG/2915ABG open-source driver situation is not
> too good.

I could understand that, but it looks like FreeBSD has a *regression*
between 6.2 and 7.x, which is different from just "overall not too good
situation".  Regressions are presumably should not happen and should be
easier to fix than improving entire support stack in FOSS industry.  :-)

> Same goes for the Intel 3945ABG (wpi(4)); it's very easy in both Linux
> and *BSDs to befuddle the Intel Wifi chips.
>
> Having said that, Bernhard Schmidt has made outstanding progress with
> the iwn(4) driver, supporting Intel Wireless WiFi Link
> 4965/1000/5000/5150/5300/6000/6050 series.
>
> Is it possible in your situation to try another wireless card? I know
> some notebook computers only whitelist a small set of PCI devices...

I think there are no technical obstacles w/my laptop, and I'd gladly try
something else, preferably fully working under FreeBSD (inc. monitor
mode and packet injection).  Any particular recommendations (aside from
iwn(4) supported chips mentioned above)?  Thanks.

./danfe