Choosing CPU for router

Brandon Penglase sysupdates at spaceservices.net
Wed Mar 17 23:04:16 UTC 2010

Now that we know the purpose for the router, yes, you will need a beefy
box. Especially if you're going to be running something like Quagga to
handle IGP (which you may or may not be doing...), you will need the
RAM and CPU. If you build a box, get server hardware. I know of one
place that uses Dell 1u servers with either Broadcom or Intel network
cards. I believe the preferred is an Intel NIC.

For a NIC Vendor, check out Silicom: http://www.silicom-usa.com/
They offer a lot of different NICs, both Broadcom and Intel solutions,
but the best is probably the SFP NIC, so you can pick between Fiber or
Copper if you need to.
http://www.silicom-usa.com/default.asp?contentID=1303
Offered in PCI-X, PCI-E, 1Gigabit, and 10Gigabit.