net.inet.tcp.slowstart_flightsize in 8-STABLE

Lawrence Stewart lstewart at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 16 04:30:18 UTC 2010

Hi Igor,

I'm sorry I missed this way back when you sent it.

On 05/12/10 22:47, Igor Sysoev wrote:
> It seems that net.inet.tcp.slowstart_flightsize does not work in 8-STABLE.
> For a long time I used slowstart_flightsize=2 on FreeBSD 4, 6, and 7 hosts.
> However, FreeBSD-8 always starts with the single packet.
> I saw this on different versions of 8-STABLE since 8 Oct 2009 till
> 04 Apr 2010.

Can you send me the output of "sysctl net.inet.tcp" from the box in
question, confirm your method for determining how many packets are
actually used to start a connection and please describe any symptoms of
the problem. My guess is delayed acking is causing you some grief?

Cheers,
Lawrence