Testing recent sis(4) changes on SiS controllers

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Fri Jun 11 18:09:20 UTC 2010

I recently committed to 9-CURRENT a fix for the sis(4) driver to improve
performance when the host can't keep up with the processing
requirements of the network. Previously, when an overflow occurred the
chip was reset and a sleep of 100ms was introduced while programming a
short cable fix for the NatSemi FA311 chip. Now, the reset is only done
once when a media change occurs and the delay was reduced to 100us.

However there's some doubt as to whether the change may cause problems
on SiS based controllers as found on some motherboards - they may
require the chip to be reset when an overflow occurs. If anyone has a
machine with a SiS based controller I'd welcome any testing that could
be done to check that I've not broken overflow handling. Overflows are
indicated by the Ierrs column in the output of "netstat -s".

--
Bruce Cran