igb and jumbo frames

Tom Judge tom at tomjudge.com
Fri Dec 3 22:19:37 UTC 2010

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the response.

On 12/03/2010 04:05 PM, Jack Vogel wrote:
> Since you're already configuring the system into a special non-standard
> way you are playing the admin, so I'd expect you to also configure memory
> pool resources, not to have the driver do so. Its also going to depend on
> the number of queues you have, you can reduce those manually as well.

In light of this is it worth documenting in igb(4) that it can use a lot
of resources?  Maybe adding a little more information about the
allocation in the error messages would be a good idea also.  The reason
I say this that for some reason the drivers requests for jumbos that
where failing did not show up in the denied counters in netstat -m.

I'm currently using the following settings in loader.conf:

kern.ipc.nmbclusters="131072"
kern.ipc.nmbjumbo9="38400"

Not sure where the first one should be but i had to raise it from the
default to get things to work.

The second leaves me at about 50% utilisation for 9k clusters operating
2 NICs at 8192 mtu:
16385/2214/18599/32768 9k jumbo clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)

> I'm glad you're trying this out however, the 9K cluster use is new, and not
> uncontroversial either, I decided to put it in, but if problems occur,
> or someone
> has a strong valid-sounding argument for not using them, I could be
> persuaded
> to take it our and just use 2K and 4K sizes.

I'm not sure it is or will be an issue, but I was hitting my head on the
desk for a few hours before I worked out why this was happening.  I had
to read the code to deduce where the error was coming from and work out
the issue.

Hopefully we don't have the same issue here as with bce(4) where the
memory area get fragmented and the system can't allocate any new 9k
clusters.

> So... any feedback is good right now.

I will provide more feedback in the coming weeks as we load these (4)
systems up.  Currently they are idling waiting for the application jails
to be deployed on them.

Tom

--
TJU13-ARIN