"RX ring hdr initialization error"

Victor Ophof mr4hughz at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 19:32:48 UTC 2010

Oke its default so .

> > If you have a panic on boot reconfigure the kernel so em is not static,
> then
> > load
> > it as a module after boot and tune it that way, once you have it tweaked
> you
> > can
> > make it static again if you wish.

I've been doing that

> He used default TX/RX ring size.
>
> > Jack
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > > connections in a other machine (ESXi)
> is
> > > still in the machine

> with

> have
> > > 2gb ram and set the following in /boot/loader.conf
> vm.kmem_size_max="1024m"
> > >
> > > The loader tunables are hw.em.txd and hw.em.rxd. I thought you
> > > increased TX/RX descriptor size to large value(e.g. 4096).

> > > I guess zfs consumed a lot of memory such that em(4) was not able
> > > to allocate RX buffers. It seems there is nothing can be done in
> > > this case unless some memory is reclaimed from zfs. I'm not
> > > familiar with zfs internals but others can comment on this.

Zfs needs more ram (4gb so I am low currently) however I have 2 free slots
to add ram now need the money to upgrade to 6gb

> > > However the patch should fix the panic under these resource
> > > shortage situation.

Maybe reducing the vm.kmem+size to 1536M would free up more memory at least
for testing.

I need to find out howto apply the patch (never done that before) but I am
going to test once I know