toggle short / long preamble with hostapd

Sin sinister at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 15:02:13 UTC 2009

Hello,

Does anyone know how to enable short preamble in 7-STABLE ?

I'm using ath with hostapd in ap mode.  It seems there was an option in hostapd.conf, but this is not in FreeBSD's /usr/share/examples/hostapd/hostapd.conf

The missing hostapd.conf option was found in google:

# Short Preamble
# This parameter can be used to enable optional use of short preamble for
# frames sent at 2 Mbps, 5.5 Mbps, and 11 Mbps to improve network performance.
# This applies only to IEEE 802.11b-compatible networks and this should only be
# enabled if the local hardware supports use of short preamble. If any of the
# associated STAs do not support short preamble, use of short preamble will be
# disabled (and enabled when such STAs disassociate) dynamically.
# 0 = do not allow use of short preamble (default)
# 1 = allow use of short preamble
#preamble=1

my version of hostapd is " v0.5.10 " - I was not able to set this option

hostapd.conf:

interface=ath0
#preamble=1
debug=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
ssid=private
wpa=1
wpa_passphrase=apassword
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP

rc.conf:

hostapd_enable="YES"
ifconfig_ath0="mode 11g hidessid mediaopt hostap"

ifconfig ath0:

ath0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:17:9a:4c:e7:83
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g <hostap>
        status: associated
        ssid private channel 1 (2412 Mhz 11g) bssid 00:17:9a:4c:e7:83
        authmode WPA privacy MIXED deftxkey 2 TKIP 2:128-bit TKIP 3:128-bit
        txpower 31.5 scanvalid 60 bgscan bgscanintvl 300 bgscanidle 250
        roam:rssi11g 7 roam:rate11g 5 protmode CTS burst hidessid dtimperiod 1