bce(4) BCM5907 CTX write errors on 7.2 driver

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Wed Nov 11 16:38:57 UTC 2009

Tom Judge wrote:

> After disabling the management firmware and doing 1 cold reboot and 3
> warms all worked correctly.
>
> After re enabling the firmware and doing 1 cold reboot and 3 warms, the
> cold works correctly and the warms all failed.
>
> Tom

>>> The package version and the bootcode version are similar but
>>> they are not the same. The bootcode you have (v5.0.6) is
>>> sufficient to fix the problem.
>>>

>> Ok just checked in the life cycle manager and it has 5.0.9 installed
>> my bad.
>>
>> Running the other test now.

Hi,
we have two new Dell R610 machines with four bce NICs (only bce0 is
connected at this time). I tried cold (power cycle in iDRAC) and warm
reboot (shutdown -r now), NIC is working on every reboot, but I am still
seeing messages:

bce0: /usr/src/sys/dev/bce/if_bce.c(1525): PHY write timeout!
bce0: /usr/src/sys/dev/bce/if_bce.c(1525): PHY write timeout!
bce0: link state changed to UP

This is on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p4 amd64

I also see "PHY write timeout" on shutdown time for each NIC.

Other than the log messages, I see no problems with bce NIC, but I have
not tested it with any high load.

I did not upgraded FW or anything else.

What can I do to help with solving this issue?

Miroslav Lachman