pktgen udp doesn't work over freebsd gateway

Mark Atkinson atkin901 at yahoo.com
Fri May 29 20:29:54 UTC 2009

Sebastian Mellmann wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm using 'pktgen' [1] under linux to generate packets.
>
> My topology looks like this:
>
> (linux-box #1) <---> (em0 - freebsd-gateway - em1) <---> (linux-box #2)
>
> I want to send packets from linux-box #1 to linux-box #2 over the free-bsd
> gateway.
> The problem is that I can see the packets on em0, but not on em1.
> I assume there's a configuration missing on the BSD machine, because it
> seems it just drops the packets hence doesn't forward them to linux-box
> #2.
>
> rc.conf:
> gateway_enable="YES"
> keymap="german.iso"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> firewall_enable="YES"
> firewall_type="OPEN"
> firewall_logging="YES"
>
> Default option for ipfw is to accept packets.

>Connectivity between the boxes is definately working (tested with ping,
>iperf etc.).

Which connectivity is this?  Through the freebsd box?  If you can ping and
get a reply through the box then there's something definitely up with the
packets you are generating.

I can see one problem with the packet trace you sent is the IP id is not
changing.

I don't use ipfw, but perhaps it cares about the udp checksum.

Are you capturing all the packets?  Is the freebsd box returning a icmp-
error for your destination/packets?

Try without the firewall and see if it works.

--
Mark Atkinson
atkin901 at yahoo.com
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);