Problem/freezes with if_bwi and firmware

Gustau Pérez gperez at entel.upc.edu
Mon May 11 07:43:16 UTC 2009

  Hi,

  I'm using a Broadcom BCM4312 with i386 FreeBSD-8.0 updated May 08
2009. Ports up to date. Using net/bwi-firmware-kmod. Loading
first bwi_v3_ucode and then  if_bwi.

  When starting the supplicant, it associates fine and it works for a
period of time. From time to time I start to lose signal, I'm my log I
can see the following message :

            May 11 08:42:51 gusiport kernel: bwi0: firmware rev 0x0127,
patch level 0x000e
            May 11 08:42:51 gusiport kernel: bwi0: bwi_intr: intr PHY TX
error

  Many of those messages per second. This is the first problem with
if_bwi.  It forces me to restart by hand the wlan1 device associated to
bwi0. And here comes the freeze (the second problem I encountered). If I
try restarting like this :

             /etc/rc.d/netif stop wlan1 && /etc/rc.d/netif start wlan1

   it works (until the PHY TX error appears againg). If I try like :

            /etc/rc.d/netif restart

   or if I try  :

           /etc/rc.d/netif stop bwi0

   the machine freezes. If i try to kldunload the module while in use
(if there's a wlan device created) the machine freezes too. It can be
unloaded only if there is not any wlan associated to the bwi device.