Configure networking outside rc.conf

Giulio Ferro auryn at zirakzigil.org
Tue May 5 22:32:18 UTC 2009

I was wondering if there was a way to cleanly configure networking
without using rc.conf but only ifconfig and other utilities

This is what I mean: let's suppose that I have a complex network
configuration to launch on my machine, for example:
- many physical nics (with different speed, mtu, duplex...)
- many aliases on them
- many vlans
- many carped interfaces
- ng_fec
- ...

What I ask is: can I, set up networking in a way that is equivalent to
creating the configuration in /etc/rc.conf and then using
"/etc/rc.d/netif restart" ?

I know how to set up the example configuration above, what I
don't know is if I can do that cleanly, that is, cleaning the state of
all interfaces, truncating vlans, etc., and then creating them again
with ifconfig, ngctl, etc.

Thanks in advance.