New INTEL firmware v3.1 for device iwi (IPW 2200BG)

Dieter Brozio Dieter.Brozio at t-online.de
Sun May 3 13:05:42 UTC 2009

Hi there,

sorry for writing to the complete FBSD mailing list, but I don't know
who is responsible for the WLAN iwi device firmware.

To whom it may concern:

INTEL released in March 2009 a new version 3.1 of its firmware version
for the WLAN iwi device (Pro/Wireless 2200BG).

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=8

On my 7.2.RC2 desktop PC (without WLAN) I noticed that in

    /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/iwi/ipw2200_bss.fw.uu
    /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/iwi/ipw2200_ibss.fw.uu
    /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/iwi/ipw2200_sniffer.fw.uu

is still the old v3.0 iwi firmware inside.

This fw generates after some hours of operation error messages like
"iwi0:scan stuck" and finally the network connection will be
disconnected. I've tested fw v3.1 this week on my FBSD6.4 laptop: No
problems, no "scan stuck", no side-effects. Brilliant.

I think you should update FBSD 7.2 with fw v3.1 because maybe you can
fix at least one of these bugs:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/122597
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/123559
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/131153

I'm sorry that I'm unable to test iwi firmware v3.1 with FBSD 7.2 on my
WLAN laptop, but at the moment I need the installed FBSD 6.4 on this PC.

Anybody of you who can test iwi v3.1?

Regards
Dieter