Request feedback on IPv6 multicast listen on ::

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri May 1 17:33:55 UTC 2009

During the MLDv2 refactoring, I removed some old KAME code which
supports the ability to listen to *all* multicast groups.
It isn't clear to me whether this code was still in use, and I couldn't
find information about it in the normative RFCs (2292, 3542) for IPv6
stack implementation.

This call needed super-user privileges to use, and I'm not sure if
anything is actually using it. Can anyone out there with possible
exposure to it clarify?

I can find a way to re-introduce it if needed, but I suspect it is very
old code which may not have actually been used (it dates back to the
initial KAME fork).

cheers,
BMS