Anyone working on RNDIS support?

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sun Jun 28 12:24:58 UTC 2009

Hi,

Is anyone out there working on RNDIS driver support for FreeBSD?

For the uninitiated: RNDIS is a movement towards unifying device
support, mostly instigated by Microsoft, where the hardware specifics of
dealing with a device are pushed onto the device itself, perhaps using a
microcontroller or in logic.

The device itself is treated as an NDIS 'miniport', and the role of the
kernel driver is just to tunnel NDIS itself across whatever commodity
bus (PCI, PCI-e, USB, etc) is in use to physically connect the device.

Just interested if anyone is doing it; the only RNDIS device I have is
my cable modem (which already has an Ethernet port), however, we are
seeing more Wi-Fi and DSL devices with USB RNDIS, and it would be great
to have this support.

cheers,
BMS