RFC: convert net.inet6.ip6.{accept_rtadv,auto_linklocal} to per-interface flags

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 28 00:08:52 UTC 2009

Rui Paulo <rpaulo at FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <A80E65C6-F7BE-47A9-91F7-42F2E4D33ABD at freebsd.org>:

rp> On 26 Jun 2009, at 09:00, Hiroki Sato wrote:
rp> > So, I want to add the following changes:
rp> >
rp> > 1. Use per-interface ND6 flag "ifdisabled" as a flag for if it is
rp> >    IPv6-enabled or not.  Set it by default.
rp>
rp> This looks okay, but "ifdisabled" seems to mean "disable the
rp> interface" instead of the actual meaning: "disable ipv6 neighbor
rp> discovery / disable ipv6 link local". Bikeshed apart, what about:
rp> # ifconfig fxp0 -nd6  (to disable ND6)
rp> # ifconfig fxp0 nd6 (to enable it)

 This is actually "ifconfig fxp0 *inet6* ifdisabled".  The reason why
 I used this name is ndp(8) uses "disabled" and the flag constant is
 named as ND6_IFF_IFDISABLED.

 The "ifconfig fxp0 inet6 -nd6" is technically correct, but it sounds
 rather cryptic from viewpoint that we use it as a flag to disable
 IPv6.  It means disabling NDP as well as marking all of the AF_INET6
 addresses on that interface as IN6_IFF_TENTATIVE.

 Hm, actually I do not stick to the name "ifdisabled".  Is "nd6"
 better?

-- Hiroki