kern/114839: [fxp] fxp looses ability to speak with traffic

David Gilbert dave at daveg.ca
Tue Jun 23 17:23:53 UTC 2009

yongari at FreeBSD.org wrote:
> Synopsis: [fxp] fxp looses ability to speak with traffic
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> State-Changed-By: yongari
> State-Changed-When: Tue Jun 23 08:27:34 UTC 2009
> State-Changed-Why:
> It seems your controller is plain i82559. Since you said you can
> see incoming traffics I think the controller do not have lock-up
> bug. By chance do you use fxp(4) on PAE environments or systems
> with more than 4GB of memory? Show me the output of
> "sysctl hw.busdma" to see whether bounce buffers are used.
>
> Also there was a lot of fxp(4) changes in HEAD. Could you try
> latest fxp(4) in HEAD? If you're using 7-stable or 7.2-RELEASE you
> can just copy if_fxp.c, if_fxpreg.h and if_fxpvar.h files from HEAD
> to 7-stable/7.2-RELEASE and rebuild kernel.
>

> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-net->yongari
> Responsible-Changed-By: yongari
> Responsible-Changed-When: Tue Jun 23 08:27:34 UTC 2009
> Responsible-Changed-Why:
> Grab.

Unfortunately, I lost access to that machine due to some business issues
:).  But I can tell you that it didn't have PAE enabled nor did it have
4G of memory (it either had 1G or 2G, but definately not 4G).

Congrats on the cleanup of old tickets, but I can't do any testing for
you as I don't have any other machines that did this.  The server in
question was a busy core router.  My current core routers use em and bge
chipsets.