kern/135222: [igb] low speed routing between two igb interfaces

Andrew Snow andrew at modulus.org
Thu Jun 18 02:06:04 UTC 2009

> The real point is that "Joe Admin" shouldn't be using controllers that have bad drivers at all. If you have to use whatever hardware you have laying around, and don't have enough flexibility to lay out $100 for a 2 port controller that works to use with your $2000 server, than you need to get your priorities in order.

Intel 82575EB (and friends)  are *the* premier ethernet controllers to
use with FreeBSD in a server.  igb should be the most stable and
supported driver in the whole kernel.  I can't think of any other driver
and series of controllers I would rather use in a server like this.

The "Offload crap" is also rather important for people who want to
achieve the full rates of network transfer speeds they are paying for.

If the drivers for these chips are now "bad", this is a very sad day for
people who wanted to use FreeBSD in their dual socket servers.

- Andrew